Showcasing candy and juicy peaches effervescent beneath a toasted pecan oat streusel, peach crisp takes lower than half the effort and time required for conventional peach pie. Served heat with chilly vanilla ice cream, summer time dessert doesn’t get a lot better than this!
This peach crisp combines a mountain of jammy, juicy summer time peaches below candy and crumbly oat streusels. It additionally requires a mountain of willpower to not eat the whole pan. Belief me, I’ve made this at the least 3x every summer time since 2015 and there are by no means any leftovers. It’s the *greatest* peach dessert. (Sorry, peach pie.)
One reader, Tammy, commented: “This must be one of the best peach crisp recipe I’ve ever made or had. We completely liked it. It was easy and I had all of the elements readily available. Was a good way to make use of up the remainder of our attractive, recent Georgia peaches. This recipe goes in my private cookbook to make many times. ★★★★★“
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Peach Crisp
- Showcase Recent Peaches: That is the right recipe for peaches to shine throughout peak season.
- Simpler Than Pie: I completely adore peach pie, however there’s little question that selfmade pie is a labor of affection. Generally we want a crowd-pleasing dessert that’s simpler, however simply as seasonal and spectacular. On this peach crisp, you’re swapping pie crust for a straightforward oat pecan streusel topping.
- Great Mixture of Textures: Thick, smooth, juicy peach filling + crispy, nutty, toasted topping.
- Stuffed with Taste: Whereas the peaches steal the highlight, they’re enhanced by a supporting solid of brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, lemon, and vanilla—which work collectively to ship a caramelized taste you’ll love.
- No Eggs: One other egg-free baking recipe.
- No Ready: You don’t have to attend for something to return to room temperature, chill, or cool! This can be a crowd-pleasing dessert you possibly can prep, bake, and serve in about an hour.
Fruit crisps, comparable to this strawberry vanilla crisp and my apple crisp, are the indeniable dessert champions as they solely require a baking dish, fruit, and streusel. And so they have a lot texture in every heat chunk. No have to soiled your rolling pin!
Not a fan of an oat topping? You’ll love this fan-favorite peach cobbler as an alternative.
Components to Use & Why
- Recent Peaches: You want about 2 to 2 1/2 kilos of peaches, or about 6 medium-size peaches, minimize into slices. Peeling them is non-compulsory. See beneath for info on one of the best peaches to make use of.
- Flour: All-purpose is greatest right here. You’ll use flour in each the filling and the topping.
- Sugar: You want granulated sugar for the filling and brown sugar for the topping.
- Salt: For its flavor-enhancing superpowers.
- Lemon Juice: The filling tastes slightly flat with out it.
- Vanilla Extract: I really like utilizing vanilla on this strawberry vanilla crisp, and it’s nice on this recipe too.
- Cinnamon: Heat cinnamon spice and peach desserts go hand-in-hand.
- Butter: To forestall it from melting too quickly and shedding texture, use very chilly butter. It will give the topping that unbelievable crumbly texture, when the items of chilly butter hit the recent oven and soften everywhere in the peach crisp. I take the butter out of the fridge, minimize it into cubes, after which place the cubed butter within the freezer for about 10–quarter-hour earlier than I want it.
- Oats: Entire rolled oats are greatest on this crisp topping, however fast oats work too.
- Pecans: Chop up some unsalted pecans for the topping. You’ll be able to depart them out for a nut-free dessert.
- Vanilla Ice Cream (for Serving): Non-obligatory, however strongly inspired! The way in which the ice cream begins melting when it hits that heat peach crisp is nearly probably the most mouthwatering dessert expertise I can consider!
Wish to stage up your peach crisp? Attempt my brown butter blueberry peach skillet crisp.
Making Peach Crisp Is as Straightforward as 1, 2, 3
- Mix filling elements, and unfold in a frivolously greased baking dish. You need to use just about any 9-inch or 2- to 2.5-quart baking dish, comparable to a deep-dish 9-inch pie dish, 10-inch forged iron skillet, or a 9-inch sq. baking pan. This can be a smaller dimension pan than the one wanted for this apple crisp.
- Mix topping elements. Whisk collectively the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt, then use a pastry cutter or forks to work the chilly cubed butter into the dry elements, breaking it down into pea-sized items. The combination needs to be crumbly. Stir the oats and chopped pecans into the topping combination *after* you narrow within the butter. You don’t need them to interrupt down an excessive amount of. This is similar manner we make the topping for bourbon cherry crisp. Sprinkle the topping everywhere in the filling. After which…
- BAKE. That’s it! The peaches launch their juices, the juices bubble up, the topping turns into crunchy and toasted. And also you don’t even have to attend for it to chill down, as a result of you possibly can dig into this peach crisp whereas it’s heat. YUM!
All of the tasty perks of a conventional peach pie in a fraction of the time.
It would appear to be a variety of topping, however understand that a variety of it seeps down into that juicy peach layer.
You need to use any number of peaches, yellow or white, however you need barely agency (not exhausting) peaches with no bruises or smooth spots. Your greatest wager is to buy or decide about 10 agency peaches (about 3 kilos), then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have smooth spots after this time, so that’s the reason I recommend shopping for a pair greater than you really need. Eat any overly smooth peaches or use them in peach muffins.
This can be a nice query, and I positively wish to reply it for anybody questioning. Peach crisp and peach cobbler each showcase peaches, however they’ve completely different toppings. Peach crisp features a buttery streusel-like oat crumb topping, whereas peach cobbler sometimes has a thicker, extra substantial biscuit topping. Each are simpler than pie!
Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you may get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches should not ideally suited as a result of they’re already too smooth and mushy.
You may make this peach crisp with out oats utilizing many of the identical actual elements. Use the topping from apple crumble pie. Don’t over-mix—it can grow to be a paste for those who over-mix. Use the identical oven temperature and bake time as beneath.
This buttery peach crisp combines candy and juicy peaches with brown sugar cinnamon oat streusel. Toasty pecans add slightly crunch whereas vanilla ice cream provides a stunning distinction to the nice and cozy peach filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Flippantly grease a deep-dish 9-inch pie dish, 9-inch sq. pan, 10-inch forged iron skillet, or any 2–2.5-quart baking dish. Put aside.
- Gently combine the entire filling elements collectively in a big bowl, then unfold into the baking dish.
- Make the topping: Whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Minimize within the butter utilizing a pastry cutter or forks till the combination is crumbly. Fold within the oats and pecans. Sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake for 45–50 minutes till the topping is golden brown and the fruit juices are effervescent across the edges. Take away from the oven, place on a wire rack, and permit to chill for a couple of minutes earlier than serving heat. You too can serve room temperature or chilly.
- Cowl leftovers and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: I don’t advocate making ready and refrigerating the crisp, unbaked, as a result of the filling will grow to be further juicy the longer it sits. You’ll be able to, nevertheless, put together the topping as much as 2 days prematurely and canopy and refrigerate it till wanted. Baked crisp freezes properly for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then heat in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 20 minutes or till heated via.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Vegetable/Fruit Peeler | 9-inch Sq. Baking Dish, 10-inch Solid Iron Skillet (or related dimension) | Glass Mixing Bowl | Pastry Cutter | Cooling Rack
- Replace in 2023: After making this peach crisp so typically, I made a number of slight tweaks to the unique 2015 recipe. I lowered the sugar within the filling from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup as a result of it was slightly too candy. I additionally added some lemon juice to brighten up the flavour. And at last, I lowered the butter from 8 to six Tablespoons, so the crisp topping holds up higher.
- Baking Pan: Any baking pan that holds about 2–2.5 quarts is greatest. You could possibly additionally divide the filling and oat topping up into particular person oven-safe ramekins. Bake them on a baking sheet. The bake time and yield is determined by their dimension, however bake till the topping is frivolously browned and peach filling bubbles up across the sides.
- Gluten Free: For a gluten-free crisp, use my recipe for gluten-free apple crisp and substitute sliced apples with sliced peaches.
- Can I Use Frozen or Canned Peaches? Recent peaches are greatest for peach crisp, however you may get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches should not ideally suited as a result of they’re already too smooth and mushy.