Florence and Gijon host indoor hard-court motion this week as two robust fields compete in an ATP 250 double-header from 10-16 October.
Felix Auger-Aliassime is the highest seed on the UniCredit Firenze Open because the ATP Tour returns to Florence for the primary time since 1994. Matteo Berrettini and Lorenzo Musetti are amongst these hoping to safe a house victory within the Italian metropolis.
Andrey Rublev headlines the draw on the Gijon Open, the place Andy Murray and Dominic Thiem may even compete. Pablo Carreno Busta and Roberto Bautista Agut lead the house hopes in north-west Spain.
ATPTour.com appears to be like forward at 5 issues to look at at every occasion.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN FLORENCE
1) Felix To Hearth In Florence?: Auger-Aliassime will eye a robust response to his first-round exit in Astana final week as the highest seed in Florence. The Canadian has carried out properly on indoor laborious courts in 2022, lifting his maiden ATP Tour crown in Rotterdam in February earlier than reaching the ultimate in Marseille every week later. A straight-sets win in opposition to Novak Djokovic on the Laver Cup in London two weeks in the past may give the 22-year-old confidence as he opens in opposition to Marton Fucsovics or Oscar Otte in Italy.
A superb week in Florence might be key for Auger-Aliassime’s hopes of qualifying for the Nitto ATP Finals for the primary time. The Canadian is presently eighth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Race To Turin.
2) Berrettini Seeks Turin Enhance: Berrettini spearheads the Italian cost because the ATP Tour returns to Florence for the primary time since 1994. Like Auger-Aliassime, the second-seeded Berrettini may give his Nitto ATP Finals qualification hopes a great addition with a deep run in his homeland. The Italian holds a 29-10 document for the season, a tally which incorporates grass-court titles in Stuttgart and on the Queen’s Membership, and he’s presently fifteenth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Race To Turin.
3) Seeded Individuals: A trio of Individuals having fun with robust seasons on Tour will hope to deliver their finest degree to the indoor laborious courts in Florence. Fourth seed Maxime Cressy and eighth seed Brandon Nakashima each claimed their maiden ATP Tour titles this season, in Newport and San Diego, respectively, whereas sixth seed Jenson Brooksby was a finalist in Dallas and Atlanta.
4) Younger Italians Look To Impress: Musetti leads a squad of 4 #NextGenATP Italians seeking to make their mark in entrance of their residence followers. The Hamburg champion, who has already certified for November’s Intesa Sanpaolo Subsequent Gen ATP Finals, is the third seed in Florence. His in-form countryman Lorenzo Sonego, the champion in Metz two weeks in the past, is a possible second-round opponent.
Francesco Passaro, Giulio Zeppieri and Francesco Maestrelli are the opposite Italian kids within the Florence draw. The World No. 123 Passaro is the highest-ranked of the trio — the 21-year-old has reached 5 finals (profitable one) on the ATP Challenger Tour in 2022 and is presently ninth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Race To Milan.
5) Koolhof/Skupski Lead Sturdy Doubles FIeld: Wesley Koolhof and Neal Skupski are chasing their seventh title of 2022 in Florence, the place their rivals embody Astana champions Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic. Ivan Dodig/Austin Krajicek, and Wimbledon champions Matthew Ebden/Max Purcell, who’re twelfth and thirteenth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Doubles Groups Rankings, respectively, are additionally seeded in Italy.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH IN GIJON
1) Rublev Leads Subject: The 11-time tour-level titlist Rublev is the highest seed because the ATP Tour visits Gijon for the primary time. The 24-year-old arrives in north-west Spain in good type, having backed up his run to the quarter-finals on the US Open in September with a semi-final look in Astana this week.
At present sixth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Race To Turin, Rublev will search a robust displaying in Gijon as he goals to qualify for November’s Nitto ATP Finals for the third consecutive yr.
2) PCB Leads Spanish Cost: 4 of the eight seeds within the Gijon draw are residence favourites. Second seed Carreno Busta will look to recapture the shape that earned him his maiden ATP Masters 1000 crown in Montreal in August, whereas third seed Bautista Agut is chasing his ninth tour-level hard-court crown — however his first indoors.
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina and Albert Ramos-Vinolas are the sixth and eighth seeds, respectively, whereas former World No. 12 Feliciano Lopez enters the draw as a wild card.
3) Murray Chases First Title Of 12 months: Regardless of reaching finals in Sydney and Stuttgart this season, former World No. 1 Murray remains to be searching for his first ATP Tour title since his 2019 triumph in Antwerp. The British wild card faces a tricky begin in Gijon, nonetheless, the place he meets Davidovich Fokina within the first spherical. It will likely be the pair’s maiden ATP Head2Head assembly.
4) Thiem To Shine In Spain?: Thiem will look to construct on current indicators that he’s discovering his finest type after returning to the Tour in April following a wrist harm. A former champion on indoor laborious courts in St. Petersburg and Vienna, Thiem has gained his previous six first-round matches at ATP Tour occasions. He’ll search to increase that run in Gijon in opposition to the Portuguese World No. 62 Joao Sousa.
5) Doubles Groups Chase Turin Spot: Prime seeds Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos can consolidate their place in fifth within the Pepperstone ATP Stay Doubles Groups Rankings with a robust week in Gijon. The Spanish-Argentine pair is chasing its third consecutive look on the Nitto ATP Finals in Turin in November.
Additionally searching for to spice up their hopes of qualifying for the season finale with a profitable journey to Spain are second seeds Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini (presently ninth within the Race), and Tokyo finalists Rafael Matos and David Vega Hernandez (presently 14th within the Race).
from Tennis – ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/XVj8WZ1